The focus of the library program at the International School of Tianjin (IST) is for students to access information efficiently and effectively, to evaluate information critically and competently, to employ an understanding of information accurately and creatively, and to read for pleasure. The following is a sampling of some of the particular skills learned:
- Find, evaluate and select appropriate resources
- Demonstrate mastery of tools for accessing information and pursuing inquiry.
- Collaborate with others to exchange ideas, develop new understandings, make decisions, and solve problems.
- Follow ethical and legal guidelines when gathering, using, and presenting information.
- Solicit and respect diverse perspectives while searching for information, collaborating with others, and participating as a member of the community.
- Organize knowledge so it is useful and can be called upon easily.
- Share knowledge and learning with others, both face to face and through technology.
- Read widely and ﬂuently to make connections with self, the world, and previous reading.
To accomplish this, a wide range of resources, technologies, and services are made available to meet students’ learning and information needs. Currently the library collection holds more than 33,000 items with a range of fiction, nonfiction and reference sources, as well as having subscriptions to several print periodicals and online databases, making IST library a sizable collection for any school.
Students can check out materials during scheduled sessions as well as during recess, lunch, and after school. Parents also are welcome and encouraged to take advantage of the ample resources and check out materials for their personal and family use.
The library’s OPAC (online public access catalog) and extensive online reading and research resources also can be accessed from home.
See the left sidebar link under Library OPAC to access our online catalog.
Information on how to use these facilities is available from the school library staff and this helpful FAQ.
Our email address is library at istianjin dot net. (We have to write it like this because we’re getting a lot of junk mail.) You can also come to the library in person. We’re always happy to see you.
Last updated: 10 May 2010